Sunday, 20 March 2016

University of Coimbra

University of Coimbra (UC, Portuguese: UNIVERSIDADE de Coimbra, pronounced: [univɨɾsidad (ɨ) dɨ kuĩbɾɐ]) is one of the Portuguese public university in Coimbra, Portugal. Founded in 1290 in Lisbon, and went through a number of deportations until permanently been moved to the current city in 1537, being one of the oldest universities in continuous operation in the world, and the oldest university in Portugal, one of the largest higher educational and research institutions.

It is organized in eight different faculties according to a wide range of areas, granting academic bachelor's degree in (vacation BA) and Master (Mestre) and doctorate (Doutor) degree in almost all major fields of knowledge, such as the Arts and the Institute of Engineering, Humanities, Mathematics, Science natural and social sciences, medicine, sports and technology. He is a founding member of the Coimbra Group, a group of leading European research universities, which hosted the inaugural meeting. Coimbra University has more than 20,000 students, and hosts one of the largest communities of international students in Portugal, being the most cosmopolitan Portuguese university.

The university was founded, or ratified, in 1290 by King Dinis, after it began its existence in Lisbon with STUDIUM Generale (Estudo Geral) name. Scientiae scoring thesaurus, and the Charter of the royal proclamation league history Foundation March 1 of that year, despite the efforts that have been made since at least 1288 for the establishment of the first university in Portugal. It is therefore one of the oldest such institutions in the Iberian Peninsula. I was given confirmation of the papal also in 1290 (on August 9 of that year), during the pontificate of Pope Nicholas IV. According to the papal bull, all the faculties of "legitimate", except that the theology, can be created. Thus, the faculties of literature and law, canon law and medicine were the first to be created. It is, however, not to stay in Lisbon for a long time. In 1308, probably because of the problems of the liberation of the church (the relations between the latter and political power which soured somewhat in that time) and conflicts between city residents and students, the university moved to Coimbra. This was already the town of ancient traditions in education, being home to the highly successful school of the Convent of Santa Cruz. Then the university was established on the site known as "Estudos Velhos", which is roughly equivalent to the area where the main library now stands.

In 1338, during the reign of Afonso IV, he was transferred back to Lisbon, where he returned in 1354, this time to the city which was then in full expansion of the center. In 1377, during the reign of King Fernando, he was transferred back to Lisbon, where he will remain for more than a century and a half. So the Faculty of Theology probably dates back to this period - about 1380. In 1537, during the reign of Joao III, the university moved definitively to Coimbra, where it was installed in Alcaçova Palace. Enterprise entire university, including faculty members, and all the books from the library, was transferred from Lisbon to Coimbra. At the same time, the establishment of the university faculties (abolished in the 19th century), were made to restructure the curriculum and new teachers, both Portuguese and foreign, it has been admitted.

In the 18th century, the Marquis of Pombal made, Minister of the Kingdom, radical reforms at the university, especially with regard to the teaching of science, according to the owner of the Enlightenment belief anticlerical. During the many decades was the only university in Portugal, since its founding in 1290 until 1559 (University of Evora in the works between 1559 and 1759), and again between 1759 and 1911 (created the University of Lisbon and the University of Porto in 1911). The long history of the past and the predominance of the University of Coimbra make it an important axis of influence in Portugal, and not only educational, but also political and social.

Taken initial steps towards some convergence in European higher education systems with the signing of the Sorbonne Declaration by those responsible for higher education in France, Italy and the United Kingdom, Germany, Cabinet, in 1998, and later, in 1999, with the signing of the Bologna Declaration. Bologna process, which aims to create a European higher education area through the implementation of a similar degree structure, and common standards of quality assurance and encourage the mobility of students and faculty, was a major revolution in the field of higher education in Europe. It highlighted globalization and technological change and increased competition for international scarcity of highly skilled labor on the importance of making European higher education institutions attractive and competitive in all parts of the world. Higher Education and the European market to promote competition more integrated between European universities is a necessary condition for the production of leading innovations and catch up with the US economy. In Portugal, the University of Coimbra decided to postpone the new model adoption of the Bologna process from 2006 to 2007/2008 (with authorized a small number of programs that have been reached a national consensus for change among institutions exceptions) in order to make the transition to maintain the highest quality academic standards of integrity. Only in the 2008/2009 school year, the university was not a whole depends entirely on the new programs within eight colleges.

Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Korea University

Korea University (KU, Hangul: 고려 대학교; Hanja: 高麗 大 學校, RR Goryeo Dae Hak Gyo) is a university in South Korea. It was established in 1905, which is one of the oldest institutions of higher education nation. The student body consists of more than 20,000 undergraduate and more than 10,000 graduate students. academic breadth of the university is extensive, with its 81 departments in 19 colleges and divisions, and 18 colleges and has more than 1,500 faculty members full-time with more than 95% of them holding Ph.D. or equivalent in their field. The Alumni Association of the University of Korea has more than 280,000 college graduates.

Korea University is a research institution consisting of sixteen undergraduate and graduate institutes twenty divisions. The university is remarkable in the history of South Korea for being the first school to offer academic programs in various disciplines such as law, economics and journalism. Korea University is particularly known for its Law School, which is widely regarded as one of the most prestigious law degree programs in South Korea. Korea University also has auxiliary, such as the Institute of Foreign Language Studies, the Institute of Continuing Education, the Institute of International Education, and the Center for Teaching and Learning educational facilities. There are 115 research institutes, including Battelle @ KU laboratory, the Institute of International Relations Ilmin, and the Center for Information Technology Security.

Korea University was established on May 5, 1905, as Bosung College by Lee Yong-Ik, Treasurer of the Royal House. The first president of the university was Shin Hae-Uoung. As an academic institution of nationalist origin, which was considered as a symbol of national pride during the colonial period (1910-1945).

Bosung College had to endure many hardships before Korea University today entered into force. Shortly after Bosung School became the "Protocol Korea Japan" was signed, and Lee Yong-Ik, founder of Bosung College, were exiled to lead the resistance movement against Japan. His exile created economic difficulties for the institution. Fortunately, however, the first financial crisis was overcome when Sohn Byong-Hee, a leading Chundokyo, a nationalist, religious and political movement of the time, took over management of the institution.

In 1929 the foundation, once again a serious financial crisis faced as a result of the worldwide recession. Kim Sung-Soo came to the rescue when he became the president of the university in 1932. At that time, it was Kim Choong-Ang High School management and the Dong-A Ilbo, a daily newspaper.

In June 1932, Kim Sung-Soo took over as President of Bosung College and in 1934 the main building was completed in an area of ​​63,000 pyeong of land located in Anam-dong. Construction of the library began in 1935 to commemorate the thirtieth anniversary of the founding of Bosung College and completed two years later. In July of the following year, a large athletic field, one of the largest in Asia in those days, was added to the school. Kim Sung-Soo, as president, makes every effort to develop Bosung College in the first true university of Korea. Unfortunately, their hopes did not become a reality because of the Japanese colonial interference. In April 1944, the Japanese colonial government forced Bosung College to change its name and placed under the control of the Japanese authorities.

After independence in 1945, Bosung College status was elevated to that of a university comprising three schools, Political Science and Law, Economy and Trade, and liberal arts. Sang-Hyun Yun, the first president, began an expansion of the campus by purchasing forest and land. In June 1949, Korea University awarded its first bachelor's degrees and in September the same year, the Graduate School was created. Yu Chin-O, the fourth president, continued to expand at Korea University, with the establishment of the Division of Science in the College of Liberal Arts, as well as a quarter of the university, the College of Agriculture.

In June 1961 this building Liberal Arts (Seokwan) was completed. Other facilities were also completed as the museum, the laboratory of agriculture, greenhouse, buildings and other student services. In the same year, an experimental farm of about 1,680,000 pyeong was added to the facilities. In addition, the Science and Engineering Departments were equipped with laboratories and instruments. In December 1963, the Graduate School of Business Administration, the first of its kind in Korea, was established. In October 1965, Yu Chin-O after fifteen years of service retired as the fourth president of Korea University and was succeeded by Professor Lee Chong-Woo as the fifth president. After 1966, Korea University continued to grow with a gradual increase in the number of departments of the Faculty of Science and Engineering and the College of Agriculture. The Graduate School of Education was also founded. More facilities, including new buildings, the General Education Building (Kyoyangkwan), and Mass Communication Building (Hongbokwan) were added.

In October 1970, Dr. Kim Sang-Hyup, professor of political science, was named as the sixth president, succeeding Lee Chong-Woo who retired in September of that year. In December 1971, a major reorganization of Korea University was held. According to the development plan long term, all the powers of the Woosuk University, including Medicine, Humanities and Sciences, Law and Economics, University College of Health Sciences and the University Hospital Woosuk were integrated completely in Korea University. In June 1972, the building of Business Administration (Kyoyangkwan) was completed to accommodate the Faculty of Commerce and the Graduate School of Business Administration. In December of the same year, the Faculty of Education was established.

In April 1975, President Kim Sang-Hyup was succeeded by Cha Rak-Hoon who became the seventh president. In December 1976, the College of Commerce College of Business Administration was renamed. The Graduate School of Food and Agriculture was established in January of the following year. In December 1977, the Faculty of Science and Engineering separated at the College of Sciences and the Faculty of Engineering. In addition, the new Central Library, the largest of its kind in South Korea at the time, was inaugurated in March 1978. In July 1983, the Faculty of Medicine and the hospital expanded and reorganized into the Medical Center Korea University, which in turn includes four new hospitals: Haewha, Guro, and Ansan Yeoju. In September 1983, the Science Library opened as a center for scientific and technological research and at the time was the largest and most modern building on campus.

In June 2001, the University of Korea concluded an academic program jointly with the University of British Columbia in Canada. Korea University Lyceum was completed and SK Telecom made a significant contribution in the same month. In July, the Division of International Studies and the Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication were founded. In October, Korea University obtained the authentication of ISO9001 in all educational and administrative areas.

In 2005, Korea University celebrated its centenary on May 5th Foundation Day.

In March, the School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology and the School of Life and Environmental Sciences have been integrated in the School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology. At the same time, the College of Health Sciences was abolished and merged into the new College highly developed of Health Sciences.

Currently, Korea University consists of sixteen colleges and divisions, as well as eighteen high schools and eleven auxiliary facilities, including libraries, museums, and the press office of public relations.

Ruhr University Bochum

Ruhr University Bochum (Germany: Ruhr University in Bochum, RUB), located in the southern hills of central Ruhr area Bochum, was founded in 1962 as the first new public university in Germany since World War II. The investigation began in 1965.

Ruhr University Bochum is one of the largest universities in Germany and part of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, the most important organization of German research funding.

The RUB was very successful in the Excellence Initiative of the German federal and state governments (2007), a competition between the most prestigious universities in Germany. It was one of the few institutions left competing for the title of "elite university", but did not succeed in the last round of the competition. There are currently nine universities in Germany who have this title.

University of Bochum was one of the first universities in Germany to introduce bachelor's and international expertise, which replaced the traditional German Diplom and Magister. Except for some special cases (eg, Law) these degrees are offered by all faculties of the University of the Ruhr. Currently, the university offers a total of 184 different study programs at all academic fields represented at the university.

July 1961: Decision of the Parliament of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia: Bochum chosen to host the first new university in the Federal Republic of Germany

June 1965 opening ceremony college / November: Start of teaching

June 1971: Opening of the Botanical Garden (today one of the ten largest in Germany)

January 1975: Opening of the art collections

Oct. 1975: Opening Unikontakt: first after transfer business / science at a university in Germany

January 1977: Launch of "Bochum Model of medical training practice"

Mai 1984: Opening of the Center for Performing Arts

March 1990: Opening of the "Situation Kunst (for Max Imdahl)"

April 1991: Opening of the Technology Center (Building MB)

Oct. 1993: Launch of the reform model Master - core "Bologna" before "Bologna"

December 1993: Opening session of the first board of the Ruhr-Universität

Nov. 1997: T. C. Radio is the first radio station campus student in Germany to receive their own frequency.

March 1998: Outsourcing the transfer station as a research and collecting societies "rubitec - Gesellschaft für Innovation und Technologie mbH"

June 1998: The "Bochum Model" becomes a permanent institution and the name was changed from "Hospital of the Ruhr University in Bochum"

April 1999 Further education as the third pillar of the RUB: Foundation of the Academy of the Ruhr-Universität

Oct. 2000: Launch of the first courses of Bachelor / Master in RUB

February 2004: Opening of Laboratory Alfried Krupp School Assistants

Nov. 2005: Creation of the Centre for Teachers of Foreign Education

Nov. 2006: Beginning of the Graduate School Research School of the Ruhr University campus-wide as the promotion of projects within the Excellence Initiative

January 2007: Integration of the State Institute of Languages ​​at the RUB

March 2007: Foundation of the University Alliance Metropolis Ruhr (UAMR) by the Universities of Bochum, Dortmund and Duisburg-Essen

April 2007: Start of a remodeling of the campus and implementation of the development plan RUB site with the building ID

January 2008: Inaugural meeting of the Council of the University as the new governing body

June 2008: Promoting the development of excellence in RUB: The state of North Rhine-Westphalia and the Mercator Foundation provide 30 million euros for the creation of research departments and research groups Mercator.

June 2008: Official opening of the Center for Materials Research ICAMS (Interdisciplinary Centre for Advanced Materials Simulation)

January 2009: The first three research departments are based, two start work in December the center of religious studies research CERES is added.

September 2009: Foundation of the Humanities Laboratory assistants for school

December 2009: Foundation Research Centre PURE protein

September 2010: ceremony for kindergarten UniKids

September 2010: Foundation of the Professional School of Education

Nov. 2010: Opening of the first new building on the campus of ID

University of Birmingham

University of Birmingham (University of Birmingham informally) is a public research university located in Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK. It received its royal charter in 1900 as successor of Queen University, Birmingham (founded in 1828 as the Birmingham School of Medicine and Surgery) and Mason School of Sciences (established in 1875 by Sir Josiah Mason), so is the English first citizen or "red brick" university to receive his own royal charter. He is a founding member of both the Russell Group of research universities of British and international network of research universities, Universitas 21.

The university was ranked 15th in the UK and 76th in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2015-16. In 2013, Birmingham was named "University of the Year 2014 'at the awards the Times Higher Education. 2015 Global University employability places Classification Birmingham to 80th worldwide and 12 in the UK. Birmingham also ranked 4th in the UK for graduate prospects in the Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015 Times.

The student population includes 20,100 undergraduate and 14,060 graduate students, which is the largest in the UK (out of 165) room. The annual income of the institution for 2014-15 was £ 577.1 million of which £ 126.4 million was from research grants and contracts, with an expenditure of £ 531.8 million.

The university is home to the Barber Institute of Fine Arts, works Housing Van Gogh, Picasso and Monet, the Lapworth Museum of Geology, the main Library Cadbury Research to Mingana collections of manuscripts from the Middle East and Collection Chamberlain and Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock Tower, which is an emblem of the city visible from many parts of the city. Academics and university alumni include former first British ministers Neville Chamberlain, and Stanley Baldwin, eight Nobel laureates.

Although the early beginnings of the University were previously dating back to Queen's University which he is linked to William Sands Cox in their quest to create a medical school along strictly Christian lines, unlike medical schools London more research has now revealed the roots of Birmingham School of medicine in medical education seminars Mr John Tomlinson, the first surgeon in Birmingham Workhouse Infirmary, and later to the general hospital. These classes were the first to be held outside of London or south of the Scottish border in the winter of 1767-1768. The first clinical teaching was conducted by medical and surgical trainees in the General Hospital, opened in 1779. The medical school, which emerged from the Workhouse Birmingham nursing was founded in 1828, but Cox began teaching in December 1825, queen Victoria granted her patronage to the clinical hospital in Birmingham and allowed it to be styled "queen hospital." It was the first university hospital in the province in England. In 1843, medical school became known as the queen of the college.

In 1870, Sir Josiah Mason, the Birmingham industrialist and philanthropist who made his fortune in manufacturing key chains, pens, nibs and electroplating, produced the document Foundation for Science Mason University. The university was founded in 1875. It was this institution that will eventually form the nucleus of the University of Birmingham. In 1882, the Departments of Chemistry, Botany and Physiology were transferred to Mason School of Science, soon followed by the Departments of Physics and Comparative Anatomy. The transfer of the School of Medicine of the University of Science Mason gave a boost to the growing importance of the university and in 1896 a movement to incorporate as a college was. As a result of Mason University Law College in 1897 he became a Mason University College on January 1, 1898, with Joseph Chamberlain to become the President of the Court of Governors.

It was largely due to the tireless enthusiasm of Chamberlain that the university was granted a royal charter by Queen Victoria on 24 March 1900. The Calthorpe family offered twenty-five acres (10 hectares) of land in the Bournbrook side of its assets in July . The Court of Governors received the Law at the University of Birmingham 1900, which set the royal letter into force on 31 May. Birmingham was therefore arguably the first call redbrick university, although several other universities claim this title.

Transfer Mason University College of the new University of Birmingham, with Chamberlain as the first chancellor and Sir Oliver Lodge as the first director, she was complete. All that remained of the legacy of Josiah Mason was his siren on the sinister head of the shield of the university and its university, the double-headed lion in Dexter. He became the first civic university campus in England.

The Charter of the University of 1900 also included the provision of a Faculty of Commerce, as appropriate for a university itself founded by industrialists and located in a city with a wealth of business, in effect, creating the first school business in England Consequently, the faculty, the first of its kind in Britain, was founded by Sir William Ashley in 1901, that from 1902 to 1923 served as the first professor of Commerce and Dean of the Faculty.

From 1905 to 1908, Edward Elgar held the post of Peyton Professor of Music at the university. He was succeeded by his friend Granville Bantock.

own files heritage of the university are accessible for research through the Research Library of the University of Cadbury, which is open to all interested researchers.

The Great Hall at Aston Webb building became the 1st South General Hospital during World War II, with 520 beds and 125,000 wounded soldiers were treated.

In 1939, the Institute of Fine Arts, designed by Robert Atkinson, opened. In 1956, the first Master's program in Geotechnical Engineering began under the title "Foundation Engineering" and has been administered by year in college since. It was the first school in England geotechnical graduate.

longer lasting master's program in the UK in physics and technology of nuclear reactors also began at the university in 1956, the same year as the first commercial nuclear plant in the world was opened in Calder Hall in Cumbria.

In 1957, Sir Hugh Casson and Neville Conder asked by the university to prepare a master plan for the site of the original 1900 buildings were incomplete. The university drafted in other architects to amend the master plan developed by the group. During the 1960s, the university built several large buildings, expanding the campus. In 1963, the university helped in the creation of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Rhodesia, now the University of Zimbabwe (UZ). UZ is now independent, but both institutions maintain relationships through student exchange programs.

Birmingham also supported the creation of Keele University (formerly University College of North Staffordshire) and the University of Warwick in the framework of Vice President Sir Robert Aitken, who acted as "godfather" of the University of Warwick. The initial plan was to establish a satellite college in Coventry, but an independent initiative Aitken advises the Committee of University Grants.

Malcolm X, Afro-American human rights activist, he went to the University Debating Society in 1965.

The university has been involved in many scientific advances and inventions. From 1925 to 1948, Sir Norman Haworth was a professor and director of the Department of Chemistry. He was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Sciences and served as Deputy Director from 1947 to 1948. His research focused mainly on carbohydrate chemistry which confirmed a number of optically active structures of sugars. By 1928, there were deduced and confirmed the structures of maltose, cellobiose, lactose, gentiobiose, melibiose, gentianose, raffinose, and the tautomeric structure glucoside ring aldose reductase sugars. His research helped define the basic characteristics of the molecules of starch, cellulose, glycogen, inulin and xylan. Also it is contributing to the solution of the problems with bacterial polysaccharides. He was a winner of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1937.

The magnetron was developed in the Department of Physics by Sir John Randall and Harry Boot James Sayers. This was vital to the Allied victory in World War II. In 1940, the exhibition of Frisch-Peierls, a document showing that the atomic bomb was more than just theoretically possible, was written in the Department of Physics by Sir Rudolf Peierls and Otto Frisch. The university also hosted the first works on gaseous diffusion in the chemistry department when it was located in the Hills building. Many of the Aston Webb building windows overlooking the old fume cupboards were opaque being attacked by hydrofluoric acid well in recent years.

The physicist Sir Mark Oliphant made a proposal for the construction of a proton-synchrotron in 1943, but did not claim that the machine would work. In 1945, phase stability was discovered; consequently, the proposal was revived, and the construction of a machine that could overcome 1GeV began in college. However, due to lack of funds, the machine will not begin until 1953. The Brookhaven National Laboratory managed to overcome them; They began their Cosmotron in 1952, and get it working at all in 1953, before the University of Birmingham.

In 1947, Sir Peter Medawar Mason was appointed professor of zoology at the university. His job was to investigate the phenomenon of tolerance and immunity transplant. He collaborated with Rupert E. Billingham and did research on pigmentation problems and skin grafting in cattle. They used a skin graft to differentiate between monozygotic and dizygotic twins in cattle. Taking the previous research of R. D. Owen into account, they concluded that tolerance actively acquired homograft could be reproduced artificially. For this research, Medawar was elected to the Royal Society. He left Birmingham in 1951 and joined the faculty of University College London, where he continued his research on transplantation immunity. He was a recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1960.

The latest round of discussions of the first televised leaders', organized by the BBC, was held at the university during the general election campaign British 2010 on 29 April 2010. He also served as a training camp for the team athletics Jamaica before the 2012 Summer Olympics.

On August 9, 2010, the university announced that for the first time not enter the clearing process UCAS for 2010 admission, which coincides with low courses subscribed to students who missed their final decisions or insurance, because all places are being taken. Largely a result of the financial crisis of 2007-2010, Birmingham joined his bandmates Russell universities including Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh and Bristol by not offering any compensation places.

In 2012, the University has announced plans to build a new sports center and library.

University of Auckland

The University of Auckland (New Zealand: University of Auckland) is a university located in Auckland, New Zealand. It is the largest and highest-ranking university in the country, being ranked 82nd worldwide in the 2015/16 QS World University Rankings. Established in 1883 as a constituent college of the University of New Zealand, the university consists of six colleges over eight campuses, and has more than 40,000 students. University of Auckland is one of the famous University in thw World. University of Auckland is Top University of New Zealand.

The University of Auckland began as a constituent of the University of New Zealand, founded on May 23, 1883, with the University College of Auckland. The administration of the University during its establishment was conducted by Andrew John Chapman (Rector of the University of New Zealand from 1885 to 1903). Housed in a disused courthouse and jail, which began with 95 students and teachers 4: Frederick Douglas Brown, a professor of chemistry (London and Oxford); Algernon Withiel Thomas Phillips, a professor of natural sciences (Oxford); Thomas George Tucker, a professor of classics (Cambridge); Francis and George Walker, a professor of mathematics (Cambridge). In 1901, the number of students had increased to 156; most of these students were training to be law clerks or teachers and enrolled part time. From 1905 onwards, an increasing number of students enrolled in business studies.

The University conducts little research until the 1930s, when there was an increase in interest in academic research during the Depression. At this point, the executive council of the university issued several resolutions in favor of academic freedom after the controversial dismissal of John Beaglehole (allegedly by a letter to a newspaper where he publicly defended the right of Communists to distribute their literature), it which contributed to the emergence of university growth.

In 1934, four new professors joined the university: Arthur Sewell (English), H. G. Forder (Mathematics), C. G. Cooper (Classics) and James Rutherford (History). The combination of new talent, and academic freedom, saw Auckland University College flourish through the 1950s.

In 1950, Elam School of Fine Arts began at the University of Auckland. Archie Fisher, who had been appointed director of the School of Fine Arts Elam was instrumental in having joined the University of Auckland.

The University of New Zealand was dissolved in 1961 and the University of Auckland was strengthened at the University of Auckland Law of 1961.

In 1966, teachers and Bob Sinclair Keith Chapman established the University of Auckland Art Collection, starting with the purchase of several paintings and drawings by Colin McCahon. The collection is now managed by the Art Research Center, based in Gus Fisher Gallery. Step A of the science building is opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, May 3.

Queen Elizabeth II opened the new School of Medicine in Grafton construction on 24 March 1970. The Queen also opened the Liggins Institute in 2002.

North Shore Campus, established in 2001, is located in the suburb of Takapuna. a degree was offered in Business and Information Management. In late 2006, the campus was closed and the degree relocated on the campus of the city.

On September 1, 2004, the Auckland College of Education merged with the School of Education at the University (formerly part of the Faculty of Arts) to form the Faculty of Education. The faculty is based on the campus of the former University Epsom, with an additional campus in Whangarei.

Professor Stuart McCutcheon became rector on 1 January 2005. Previously he was the Rector of the Victoria University of Wellington. He succeeded Dr. John Cover (PhD, Hon. LLD), who was appointed Rector of the University of Oxford.

The University opened a new building of business school in 2007, after completion of Commons information. It has recently gained international accreditations for all its programs and now completes the "Triple Crown" (AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB).

In May 2013, the University acquired a site for the new campus of 5 hectares next to the most important business area in Newmarket. It will provide the University with a site for expansion over the next 50 years, with the Engineering occupying the first of the new powers in 2014.

Australian National University

Australia National University (ANU) is a public university in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory. Located in the suburb of Acton, the main campus includes seven colleges of education and research, as well as several national institutes.

Founded in 1946, it is the only university that has been created by the Parliament of Australia. Originally a graduate research university, ANU graduation began teaching in 1960 when he joined the University College of Canberra, which had been established in 1929 as a campus of the University of Melbourne. ANU enrolls 10,052 undergraduate and 10,840 graduate students and employs 3,753 employees. The university endowment stands at A $ 1.13 billion in 2012.

ANU is considered among the best universities in the world. ANU is ranked 19 co-equal in the world (first in Australia) with Kings College London for the 2015/16 QS World University Rankings, and number 45 in the world (second in Australia) 2014 / 15 by the Times Higher Education World University Ranking. In the 2014 Times Higher Education Ranking Global Employability University, an annual ranking of employment of university graduates, ANU was ranked 20th in the world (first in Australia). ANU is ranked 89th (first in Australia) in the 2015 ranking of Leiden. ANU ranks first in category 4 Eduniversal Palmes ranking. ANU is positioned in the top 10% in education, more than 10% on the international stage and 10% in research in the world in 2016.

ANU has six Nobel laureates among its teachers and students. 94% of the ANU research is classified as "above world standard" par excellence of the Government of Australia in Research Report 2012.Students enter Australia ANU in 2013 had a median Australia Tertiary Admission Rank of 93, the equivalent of highest among Australian universities. ANU was named the 7th most international university in the world in a 2014 study by the Times Higher Education.

Post-war origins

Calls for the creation of a national university in Australia started as early as 1900. After the location of the national capital, Canberra, it was determined in 1908, the land is intended to college at Cerro Black feet in designs city Walter Burley Griffin. Planning college was interrupted by the Second World War, but resumed with the creation of the Department of Reconstruction Post-War in 1942, ultimately leading to the approval of Law 1946 of the National University of Australia by Parliament Australia on August 1, 1946.


A group of eminent Australian researchers returned from abroad to join the university, including Sir Howard Florey (co-creator of the medicinal penicillin), Sir Mark Oliphant (a nuclear physicist who worked on the Manhattan Project), Sir Keith Hancock (the Chichele professor of economic History at Oxford) and Sir Raymond Firth (professor of anthropology at LSE). Sir Douglas Copland economy was appointed as the first rector of ANU and former Prime Minister Stanley Bruce served as the first chancellor. ANU was organized in four centers Schools Physical Sciences Research, Social Sciences and Pacific Studies and the John Curtin School of Medical Research.

The first room of the resident, University House, was opened in 1954 for teachers and graduate students. Mount Stromlo Observatory, established by the federal government in 1924, became part of the ANU in 1957. The top of the ANU Library, the Menzies and Chifley buildings, opened in 1963. The School of Forestry of Australia, found in Canberra since 1927, they merged by ANU in 1965.

Canberra University College

Canberra University College (CUC) was the first institution of higher education in the capital, having been established in 1929 and enroll its first students graduate in 1930. Its foundation was led by Sir Robert Garran, one of the drafters of the Constitution of Australia and the first Attorney General of Australia. CUC was affiliated with the University of Melbourne and their degrees were awarded by the university. CUC include leading academic historian Manning Clark, a political scientist Finlay Crisp, poet A. D. Hope and economist Heinz Arndt.

In 1960, he joined CUC ANU as the School of General Studies, initially with faculties of arts, economics, law and science. Faculties in Oriental studies and engineering were introduced later. Bruce Hall, the first residential college for college students, opened in 1961.

Modern era

Canberra School of Music and Art School merged by ANU Canberra in 1992.

ANU established its School of Medicine in 2002, after obtaining the approval of the federal government in 2000.

On January 18, 2003, forest fires Canberra largely destroyed the Mount Stromlo Observatory. ANU astronomers now conduct research from Siding Spring Observatory, which contains 10 telescopes, including the Anglo-Australian Telescope.

In February 2013, the financial and ANU graduate businessman Graham Tuckwell made the largest donation in the history of college Australia, giving $ 50 million to fund a scholarship program undergraduate at ANU.

ANU is well known for its history of student activism and, in recent years, its divestment campaign fossil fuels, which is one of the oldest and most successful in the country. The ANU Council decision to divest two companies of fossil fuels in 2014 was criticized by ministers in the government of Abbott, but defended by the Vice Chancellor Ian Young, who said:

On transfers, it is clear that we were on the right and played a truly national and international leadership role. We seem to have played an important role in a movement that now seems unstoppable.

Friday, 11 March 2016

University of Michigan ( founded in 1817 )

The University of Michigan is one of the Top University in the World. The University of Michigan is one of the oldest University in the World. The University of Michigan is Top Ranked University in the World. The University of Michigan (UM, UM, UMich, or U of M), often referred to simply as Michigan is done, is a public research university based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States. Originally founded in 1817 in Detroit as Catholepistemiad or Michigania University, 20 years before the Michigan Territory officially became a state, the University of Michigan is the oldest state university. The university moved to Ann Arbor in 1837 on 40 acres (16 hectares) of what is now known as Central Campus. Since its inception in Ann Arbor, the university campus has been expanded to include more than 584 large buildings with a combined area of ​​more than 34 million square feet (781 acres or 3.16 km²) distributed along a Central Campus and North campus, has two satellite campuses located in Flint and Dearborn and Detroit Center. The University was one of the founding members of the Association of American Universities.

Considered one of the universities most important research in the United States, the university has very high research activity and its comprehensive graduate program offers doctoral degrees in humanities, social sciences and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), as well as professional degrees in architecture, business, medicine, law, pharmacy, nursing, social work and dentistry. body of alumni living (from 2012) of Michigan includes more than 500,000. In addition to academic life, Michigan's athletic teams compete in Division I of the NCAA and are collectively known as the Wolverines. They are members of the Big Ten Conference.

The University of Michigan was established in Detroit on August 26, 1817 as the Catholepistemiad, or Michigania University, by the governor and judges of the territory of Michigan. The Rev. John Monteith was one of the founders of the University and its first president. Ann Arbor had allocated 40 acres (16 ha) in the hope of being selected as the state capital; when Lansing was chosen as the state capital, the city provided the land for a university. What he would become the university moved to Ann Arbor in 1837 thanks to Governor Stevens T. Mason. The original 40 acres (160,000 m2) was the basis of the current Central Campus. The first classes in Ann Arbor were held in 1841, with six freshmen and sophomores, taught by two teachers. Eleven students graduated in the first beginning in 1845.

By 1866, enrollment increased to 1,205 students, many of whom were veterans of civil war. Women were first admitted in 1870. James Burrill Angell, who served as president of the university from 1871 to 1909, aggressively expanded curriculum UM to include professional studies in dentistry, architecture, engineering, government and medicine . U-M also became the first American university to use the method of study seminar. Among the first students of the School of Medicine was José Celso Barbosa, who in 1880 graduated with honors and the first Puerto Rican to earn a college degree in the United States. He returned to Puerto Rico to practice medicine and also served in senior positions in government.

From 1900 to 1920, the university built many new facilities, including buildings for dental and pharmacy programs, chemistry, natural sciences, Hill Auditorium, large hospital and library complex, and two residences. In 1920, the University reorganized the School of Engineering and formed an advisory committee to guide 100 industrial academic research initiatives. The university became a preferred choice for bright Jewish students from New York in the 1920s and 1930s, when the Ivy League schools had quotas that restrict the number of Jews to be admitted. Due to its high quality, UM the nickname "Harvard of the West", which became commonly parodied in reverse after John F. Kennedy referred to himself as "a graduate of Eastern Michigan University won Harvard "in his speech proposing the formation of the Peace Corps, while on the front steps of the Michigan union. During World War II, UM research supports military efforts, such as projects of the US Navy in proximity fuzes, PT boats, and radar jamming.

After the war, enrollment expanded rapidly and in 1950, of which more than a third (or 7,700) were supported by veterans G.I. reached 21,000, Bill. As the Cold War and the space race took hold, U-M received many government grants for strategic research and helped develop peacetime uses for nuclear energy. Much of that work as well as research into alternative energy sources, is pursued through the Phoenix Project Memorial.

Lyndon B. Johnson gave his speech outlining his Great Society program as the keynote speaker at the graduation ceremony Spring 1964 U-M. During the 1960s, the campus was the scene of numerous protests against the Vietnam War and the university administration. On March 24, 1965, a group of faculty members and 3,000 U-M students held first faculty directed by "teach-in" of the nation to protest against US policy in Southeast Asia. In response to a series of sit-ins in 1966 by voice, the M U-campus political party of Students for a Democratic Society, the administration banned granted. In response, 1,500 students participated in an hour sitting inside the LSA building, which housed the administrative offices.

Former UM student and noted architect Alden B. Dow designed the current Fleming administration building, which was completed in 1968. The construction plans were developed in the early 1960s, before the student activism sparked a concern for safety . But Fleming narrow windows of the building, all located above the first floor and exterior of strength led to a rumor campus that was designed to be proof unrest. Dow denied the rumors, saying the small windows were designed to save energy.

During the 1970s, the severe budgetary constraints slowed the physical development of the university; but in the 1980s, the university received more donations for research in the social and physical sciences. University participation in the missile strategic defense initiative and investment in South Africa caused controversy on campus. During the 1980s and 1990s, the university devotes significant resources to the renewal of its massive hospital complex and improving academic facilities in the North Campus. In its annual financial report for 2011, the university announced that it had spent $ 497 million per year in each of the prior to the renovation of buildings and infrastructure throughout the campus 10 years. The university also emphasized the development of computer and information technology throughout the campus.

In the 2000s, T-H faced declining state funding due to the lack of the state budget. At the same time, the university tried to maintain its high academic standards while keeping costs affordable tuition. There were disputes between unions and labor administration of U-M, in particular the Organization of Teachers Employees (LEO) and the Graduate Employees Organization (GEO), the union representing employees graduate students. These conflicts led to a series of one-day strikes by unions and their supporters. The university is committed to building a campaign of $ 2.5 billion.

In 2003, two lawsuits involving affirmative action admissions policy U-M reached the US Supreme Court (Grutter v. Bollinger and Gratz v. Bollinger). President George W. Bush publicly opposed the policy before the court issued a ruling. The court found that race can be considered as a factor in college admissions in all public universities and private colleges that accept federal funds. However, it was determined that a point system was unconstitutional. In the first case, the court upheld the admissions policy law school, while in the second it ruled against the undergraduate admissions policy of the University.

The debate continued because in November 2006, Michigan voters approved Proposition 2, which would ban affirmative action in college admissions most. Under this law, race, sex, national origin and it can no longer be considered in admissions. U-M and other organizations were granted a stay of enforcement shortly after the referendum. This time allowed for defenders of affirmative action to decide the legal and constitutional options in response to the results of the initiative. In April 2014, the Supreme Court ruled in Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, defending Proposition 2 under the US Constitution .. The admissions office says it will try to get a diverse student body considered other factors, such as whether the student attended a school in disadvantage, and the level of education of the student's parents.

On May 1, 2014, University of Michigan was named one of the 55 higher education under investigation by the Office of Civil Rights "of possible violations of federal laws on the treatment of sexual violence and harassment complaints. " Working Group of the White House President Barack Obama to protect students from sexual Assault was organized for such research.

The University of Michigan became more selective in the first decade of 2010. The acceptance rate was reduced from 50.6% in 2010 to 26.2% in 2015. The rate of new freshman enrollment has been fairly stable since 2010 .

New York University ( founded in 1831 )

New York University is one of the Top University in the World. New York University is one of the oldest University in the World. New York University is Top Ranked University in the World. New York University (NYU) is a private, nonsectarian American research based in New York City. Founded in 1831, New York University is one of the not-for-largest higher education in the US private profit. University rankings compiled by US News and World Report, and the Times Higher Education Academic Ranking of World Universities all ranks University of New York among the 34 most renowned universities in the world. New York University is organized into more than twenty schools, colleges and institutes, located in six centers throughout Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn. The main campus of New York University is located in Greenwich Village in Lower Manhattan with institutes and centers in the Upper East Side, academic buildings and dormitories down Wall Street and the Brooklyn Campus located in the MetroTech Center in downtown Brooklyn. The University also established NYU Abu Dhabi, Shanghai University of New York and maintains 11 other global academic centers in Accra, Berlin, Buenos Aires, Florence, London, Madrid, Paris, Prague, Sydney, Tel Aviv and Washington, DC

New York University was elected member of the American Association of Universities University of New York in 1950. counts thirty-six Nobel Prize winners, four winners of the Abel Prize, three winners of the Turing Award, more than thirty National Medals of Science, Technology and Innovation, Arts and recipients Humanities, over thirty Pulitzer Prize winners, more than thirty winners of the Academy Award, as well as several Russ awards, Gordon Award, Draper Prize and fields medal winners and Emmy, dozens Grammy, and Tony award winners among its professors and students. New York University also has many holders MacArthur and Guggenheim Fellowship, and hundreds of National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences members, and a lot of members of Congress United States and heads of state from countries around the world, including its past and present graduates and faculty. The alumni of New York University are among the richest in the world, and include seventeen billionaires life.

sports teams are called the NYU Violets, the colors are trademarked hue "NYU Violet" and white; The school mascot is the lynx. Almost all sports teams participate in the NCAA Division III and the University Athletic Association.

Albert Gallatin, Secretary of the Treasury under Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, declared his intention to establish "in this vast and rapidly growing city ... a system of rational and practical education appropriate for all and graciously open to all". Three days time "literary and scientific convention" held at City Hall in 1830 and attended by over 100 delegates discussed the terms of a plan for a new university. These Yorkers believed the city needed a university designed for young men who would be admitted based on merit rather than birthright, status or social class. On April 18, 1831, an institution was established with the support of a group of prominent residents of New York City of the landowning class city of merchants, bankers and traders. Albert Gallatin was elected as the first president of the institution. On April 21, 1831, the new institution received its charter and was incorporated as the City University of New York by the Legislature of the State of New York; the oldest documents often refer to it by that name. The university has been popularly known as the University of New York known since its inception and was officially renamed New York University in 1896. In 1832, New York University held its first classes in rooms rented four-story Clinton Hall, located near the Town Hall . In 1835, the Law School of the first professional school of NYU, was established. Although the impetus to found a new school was partly a reaction by evangelical Presbyterians to what they perceive as the Episcopalian Columbia College, New York University was created non-denominational, unlike many US universities in the moment.

He became one of the largest universities in the country, with an enrollment of 9,300 in 1917. New York University had its Washington Square campus since its founding. The university bought a campus of University Heights in the Bronx because of overcrowding in the old campus. New York University also had a desire to follow the further development of the upper part of the city of New York. The decision of the NYU came to the Bronx in 1894, led by the efforts of Chancellor Henry Mitchell MacCracken. The University Heights campus was much wider than its predecessor was. As a result, most of the operations of the university with undergraduate College of Arts and Sciences and the Faculty of Engineering stayed there. administrative operations of the New York University moved to the new campus, but schools of college graduates remained in Washington Square. In 1914, Washington Square College was founded as a college student center at the University of New York. In 1935, New York University opened the "College Memorial Nassau-Hofstra University in Hempstead New York, Long Island". Later this extension would become fully independent Hofstra University.

In 1950, University of New York was elected member of the Association of American Universities, a nonprofit organization of leading universities public and private research.

In the 1960s and early 1970s to the end, the financial crisis took over the government of the city of New York and the problems extend to the institutions of the city, including NYU. Feeling the pressures of impending bankruptcy, NYU President James McNaughton Hester negotiated the sale of the University Heights campus of the City University of New York, which occurred in 1973. In 1973, the Faculty of Engineering and Science at the University of New York was combined at the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, which eventually merged into New York University in 2014, is the present Tandon School of Engineering. After the sale Bronx campus, University College merged with Washington Square College. In the 1980s, under the leadership of President John Brademas, University of New York launched a campaign billion was spent almost entirely on upgrading facilities. The campaign was created to complete in 15 years, but ended up being completed in 10. In 2003, President John Sexton launched a campaign of $ 2.5 billion for all funds are spent in college and financial aid resources.

In 2009, the university responded to a series of interviews New York Times that showed a pattern of labor abuses in its incipient location Abu Dhabi, the creation of a statement of work values ​​for campus workers Abu Dhabi. A 2014 follow-up article in The Times found that while some conditions had improved, entrepreneurs University of billions endowment is still frequently subject their workers to third-world working conditions. The article documents these conditions include the confiscation of the passports of workers, mandatory overtime, recruitment rates and bedrooms full of cockroaches where workers had to sleep under the beds. According to the article, workers who tried to protest the conditions of contractors University of New York were arrested promptly. The university responded to the day of the article with an apology to the workers. Another report was published and argues that those who were on strike were arrested by police who then abused them promptly in a police station. Many who were not locals were then deported to their country. A 2014 follow-up article in The Times found that some conditions had improved. In 2015, the University of New York compensated thousands of migrant workers at its complex in Abu Dhabi.

New York University was the founding member of the League of World Universities, an international organization consisting of rectors and presidents of urban universities across six continents. The league and its 47 representatives meet every two years to discuss global issues in education. L. Jay Oliva formed the organization in 1991, just after he was inaugurated president of the University of New York.

University Logo

The logo of the university, the torch held, is derived from the Statue of Liberty, which means service NYU in New York City. The torch represents both the seal and the more abstract NYU New York University logo, designed in 1965 by renowned designer Tom Geismar graphic brand and design firm Chermayeff and Geismar. There are at least two versions of the possible origin of the University, violet. Some believe it may have been chosen because violet is said to have grown in abundance in Washington Square and around the buttresses of the Old University Building. Others argue that the color may have been adopted because the violet flower was associated with Athens, the center of learning in ancient Greece.

University of Washington ( founded in 1861 )

University of Washington is one of the Top University in the World. University of Washington is one of the oldest University in the World. University of Washington is Top Ranked University in the World. University of Washington, commonly known as Washington or informally T-Dub, or locally as UW is a public research university insignia based in Seattle, Washington, United States. Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest universities in the West Coast and has one of the most respected medical schools in the world.

The university has three campuses: the primary and the largest in the University district of Seattle and two in Tacoma and Bothell. Its operating expenses and research budget for fiscal year 2014-15 is expected to be $ 6.4 billion. Washington University occupies more than 500 buildings with more than 20 million gross square footage of space, including the University of Washington Plaza, which is 325 feet (99 m) UW Tower and conference center.

Washington is a member of the Association of American Universities. Its research budget is among the highest in the United States.

The city of Seattle was one of the settlements in the mid to late 19th century competing for supremacy in the territory of newly formed Washington. In 1854, territorial governor Isaac Stevens recommended the creation of a university in Washington. Several Seattle area residents prominent, chief among them Methodist preacher Daniel Bagley, saw the location of this University as an opportunity to add to the prestige of the city. They were able to convince early founder of Seattle and a member of the territorial legislature Arthur A. Denny of the importance of Seattle winning the school. The legislator initially charged two universities, one in Seattle and one in Lewis County, but later reversed its decision in favor of a single university in Lewis County, provided locally donated land could be found. When no site emerged, the legislature, encouraged by Denny, moved to the University of Seattle in 1858.

In 1861, he began scouting for an appropriate access 10 acres (4 hectares) site in Seattle to serve as the campus for a new university. Arthur and Mary Denny donated eight acres, and associated pioneers Edward Lander and Charlie Terry and Mary donated two acres to college on a site on the hill of Denny in downtown Seattle. This treaty was bounded by Avenues 4 and 6 in the west and east and Union and Seneca Streets on the north and south.

UW officially opened on November 4, 1861, as the University of territorial Washington. The following year, the legislature passed articles formally join the University and Board of Regents is created. The school struggled initially, closing three times: in 1863 for lack of students, and again in 1867 and 1876 due to shortage of funds. However, Wilt Clara Antoinette McCarty became the first graduate of the University of Washington in 1876, when he graduated from the University of Washington with a degree in science. At the time Washington entered the Union in 1889, Seattle and the University had grown substantially. Enrollment had increased from an initial period of 30 students to nearly 300, and the relative isolation of the campus had given way to invade development. A special legislative committee headed by the University of Washington graduate Edmond Meany was created for the purpose of finding a new campus better able to serve the growing student population. The committee selected a site on Union Bay northeast of the city, and the legislature appropriated funds for purchase and subsequent construction.

The University moved from downtown to the new campus in 1895, entering the newly built Denny Hall. The regents tried unsuccessfully to sell the old school, and eventually settled on leasing the area. The University still owns what is now called the Metropolitan tract. At the heart of the city, it is among the most valuable pieces of real estate in Seattle and generates millions of US $ in annual revenue.

The original building was demolished territorial University in 1908 and its former site now houses the Fairmont Olympic Hotel. The only surviving remains of the first building of the University of Washington are four of 24 feet (7.3 m), white, cedar striated by hand, ionic columns. They were rescued by Edmond S. Meany-one of the first graduates of the University and the former head of the history department. Meany and his colleague, Dean Herbert T. Condon, dubbed each of the columns "loyalty", "Industry", "faith" and "efficiency" or "life." The columns are now in Sylvan Grove Theater.

Exhibition organizers Alaska-Yukon-Pacific 1909 looked still undeveloped campus as a prime setting for their world fair. They reached an agreement with the Board of Regents that allowed them to use the campus grounds for the exposition. In return, the University would be able to take advantage of the development of the campus just after its conclusion. This included a detailed site plan and several buildings. The plan for the A-Y-P Exposition prepared by John Charles Olmsted was later incorporated into the overall campus master plan and permanently affected the design of the campus.

Both world wars brought the military to campus, with certain facilities temporarily loaned to the federal government. Subsequent postwar periods were times of dramatic growth of the University. The period between the two wars saw significant expansion on the upper campus. Construction of the Road liberal arts, known to students as "The Quad," began in 1916 and continued in stages until 1939. The first two wings of Suzzallo Library, considered the centerpiece of architecture at the University, were built in 1926 and 1935, respectively. Further growth came with the end of World War II and passage of the G.I. Bill. Among the most important events of this period was the opening of the medical school in 1946. Over time it will become the University of Washington Medical Center, now ranked by US News and World Report among the top ten hospitals in the United States. It was during this time in history at the University of Washington in which many Japanese Americans were sent out of college to concentration camps along the west coast of the United States as part of Executive Order 9066 following attacks Pearl Harbor. As a result, many American Japanese "soon-to-be" were unable graduates receive their diplomas and be recognized for their achievements at the university to the University of ceremony commemorating Washington for Japanese Americans titled The Long Journey Home held on May 18, 2008 at the main campus.

In late 1960, the Police Department of the University of Washington evolved from the Safety and Security Division University in response to protests against the Vietnam War. It currently has jurisdiction over the campus of the University of Washington and University-owned housing, except for the Radford Court apartments in Sand Point. The 1960s and 1970s are known as the "golden age" of the university due to the tremendous growth in students, facilities, operating budget and prestige under the direction of Charles Odegaard from 1958 to 1973. The inscription at the University of Washington more than doubled, from about 16,000 to 34,000, as the baby boom generation coming of age. As was the case in many American universities, this era was marked by high levels of student activism, with much of the unrest focused around civil rights and opposition to the Vietnam War. Odegaard instituted a vision of building a "community of scholars" and convinced that the state of Washington legislatures to increase their investments to college. In addition, Washington Senators, Henry M. Jackson and Warren G. Magnuson used their political influence to channel federal funds for research at the University of Washington and to date, the University of Washington is one of the main recipients of funds federal research in the United States. The results include an increase in the operating budget of $ 37 million in 1958 to more than $ 400 million in 1973, and 35 new buildings that the surface of the college doubled.

The University opened offices in Bothell and Tacoma in 1990. Initially, these campuses offered curricula for students seeking bachelor's degrees who have already completed two years of higher education, but both schools have made the transition to four-year colleges, the acceptance of the first freshman class in the fall of 2006. Both campuses offer master's programs as well. In 2009, the University opened an office in the Spanish city of Leon, in collaboration with the local university.

University of Pennsylvania ( founded in 1740 )

The University of Pennsylvania is one of the Top University in the World. The University of Pennsylvania is one of the oldest University in the World. The University of Pennsylvania is Top Ranked University in the World. The University of Pennsylvania (commonly known as Pan or the University of Pennsylvania) is a private university, the Ivy League, the investigation is in Philadelphia. Incorporated as the Directors of the University of Pennsylvania, Penn is one of the 14 founding members of the Association of American Universities and one of the nine original colonial universities. Penn is one of several universities that claims to be the first university in the United States.

Benjamin Franklin, founder of Penn, called for an educational program that focused on both practical education for trade and public services as in the classics and theology, although it was never adopted curriculum Franklin. The coat of arms of the university has a dolphin in the red head, taken directly from own coat of arms of the family of Franklin. Penn was one of the first academic institutions to follow a multidisciplinary model pioneered by several European universities, concentrating multiple "powers" (eg, theology, classics, medicine) in a single institution. It was also home to many other educational innovations. The first medical school in North America (School of Medicine Perelman, 1765), the first collegiate business school (Wharton School of Business, 1881) and the first building and the organization "Student Union" (Houston Hall, 1896 ) they were born in Penn.

Penn offers a wide range of academic departments, an extensive research work and a number of utility programs and community outreach. It is particularly known for its medical school, dental school, design school, business school, law school, school of engineering, communications school, nursing school, veterinary school, social sciences and humanities programs and their teaching skills and biomedical research. Its undergraduate program is also among the most selective in the country, with an acceptance rate of 10 percent. One of the best known academic qualities of Penn is its emphasis on interdisciplinary education, which promotes through numerous double degree, research centers and chairs, a unified campus programs, and the ability of students to take classes from any of Penn schools (the 'one university policy ").

All schools in Penn exhibit very high activity research. Penn is consistently ranked among the top research universities in the world for both the quality and quantity of research. In fiscal 2015, the budget for academic research Penn was $ 851 million, involving more than 4,300 teachers, 1,100 postdoctoral fellows and 5,500 support staff assistants / graduates. As one of the institutions most active and prolific research, Penn is associated with a number of innovations and important discoveries in many fields of science and humanities. Among them are the first general purpose electronic computer (ENIAC), vaccines against rubella and hepatitis B, Retin-A, cognitive therapy, joint analysis and others.

academic and research of Penn programs are guided by a large and highly productive faculty. Twenty-eight Nobel laureates have joined Penn. During its long history the university has also produced many distinguished alumni. These include 12 heads of state (including a US president); three judges of the Supreme Court of the United States, and a number of judges of the Supreme Court of the state; founders of technology companies, international law firms and global financial institutions; and university presidents. According to a 2014 study, the University of Pennsylvania has produced the greatest number of billionaires of any university undergraduate level. Penn endowment to $ 10.1 million at June 30, 2015, is the endowment of the university and the tenth largest in the United States and the thirteenth largest part based on each student.

The University is considered the fourth oldest institution of higher education in the United States, as well as the first university in the United States with its undergraduate and graduate students.

In 1740, a group of Philadelphians joined to lift a large hall for itinerant preaching evangelist George Whitefield, who toured the American colonies lecturing outdoors. The building was designed and built by Edmund Woolley and was the largest building in the city at the time, attracting thousands of people the first time was preached in.:26 initially planned to serve as a charity school as well; However, lack of funds forced the plans for the chapel and school to be suspended. According to Franklin's autobiography, it was in 1743 when he first had the idea of ​​creating an Academy, "thinking that the Rev. Richard Peters a suitable person to supervise that institution." However, an informal investigation Peters refused Franklin and nothing was done for another six years.:30 In the fall of 1749, now more eager to create a school to educate future generations, Benjamin Franklin distributed a brochure entitled "Proposals relating to the education of youth in Pennsylvania," his vision of what he called a "Public Academy of Philadelphia." Unlike the other colonial colleges that existed in 1749 at Harvard, William and Mary, Yale University and the new school of Princeton-Franklin does not focus solely on education for clergy. He advocated an innovative concept of higher education, one that would teach both knowledge of ornamental arts and practical skills needed to earn a living and make public service. The proposed program of study might have become first curriculum of modern liberal arts of the nation, although it was never implemented due to William Smith, an Anglican priest who was rector at the time, and other trust preferred plan traditional studies.

Franklin assembled a board of directors from among the leading citizens of Philadelphia, the first plate such nonsectarian in America. At the first meeting of the 24 members of the Board (13 November 1749) the question of where to locate the school was a primary concern. Although a lot through the Sixth Street from old Pennsylvania State House (later renamed and well known since 1776 as "Independence Hall") was offered at no cost by James Logan, its owner, the trustees realized that the building erected in 1740, which is still vacant, would be an even better place. The original sponsors of the building still dormant construction considerable debts owed and asked Franklin group to assume its debt and, consequently, their confidences inactive. On February 1, 1750 the new board took over the construction and trusts the old board. On August 13, 1751, the "Academy of Philadelphia", using the large room on the fourth and Arch streets, took his first high school students. A charity school was also chartered July 13, 1753: 12 according to the intentions of the original donors "New building", although it lasted only a few years. 16 June 1755, the "College of Philadelphia" was charged, paving the way for the addition of instruction.:13 undergraduate All three schools share the same Board and is considered part of the same institution.

The higher education institution was known as the College of Philadelphia between 1755 and 1779. In 1779, without relying on the then rector trends "loyal" the Rev. William Smith, the Legislature created a revolutionary state of Pennsylvania State University. The result was a schism, with Smith continuing to operate an attenuated version of the University of Philadelphia. In 1791 the Legislature issued a new letter, the merger of the two entities in a new University of Pennsylvania with twelve men of each institution in the new Board.

Penn has three claims to be the first university in the United States, according to the director of University Archives Mark Frazier Lloyd: 1765 founding of the first medical school in America made Penn the first institution to offer both "grade" and vocational training; 1779 letter became the first institution of higher education of America to take the name "University"; and existing schools were established as seminars (although, as detailed above, Penn adopted a traditional curriculum seminar, as well).

After being located in the center of Philadelphia for more than a century, the campus moved across the Schuylkill River to property purchased from the Charity House Blockley in West Philadelphia in 1872, where it already has been kept in an area now known as University City. Although Penn began operating as a college or high school in 1751 and got its university status in 1755, initially designated 1750 as its founding date; this is the year that appears in the first iteration of the university seal. Some time later in its early history, Penn began to consider 1749 as its founding date; this year has been referred for over a century, including the centennial celebration in 1849. In 1899, the board voted to set the date of foundation in early again, this time in 1740, the date of "creation the first of many educational trusts University has taken upon himself. " The House of Representatives voted in response to a three-year campaign by General Alumni Society Penn to retroactively revise founding date of the university over Princeton University, which had been chartered in 1746 appear.

University of Texas at Austin ( founded in 1883 )

The University of Texas at Austin is one of the Top University in the World. The University of Texas at Austin is one of the oldest University in the World. The University of Texas at Austin is Top Ranked University in the World. The University of Texas at Austin, informally UT Austin, UT, University of Texas, or Texas in sporting contexts, is a public research university and the flagship institution of the University of Texas System. Founded in 1883 as "The University of Texas," the campus is located in Austin, approximately 1 mile (1,600 meters) from the Texas State Capitol. The institution has the fifth largest single-campus enrollment in the nation, with more than 50,000 undergraduate and graduate students and 24,000 faculty and staff. The university has been labeled as one of the "public Ivies," a university publicly funded considered to provide education comparable to those of the Ivy League quality.

UT Austin was inducted into the American Association of Universities in 1929, becoming the third university in the American South to be elected. It is a major academic research center, with costs exceeding $ 550 million for the 2013-2014 school year investigation. The university houses seven museums and seventeen libraries, including the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum and Blanton Museum of Art, and operates various auxiliary facilities, such as research Campus J. J. Pickle Research and the McDonald Observatory. Among university faculty are Nobel laureates, Pulitzer Prize, the Wolf Prize, the Emmy Award and the National Medal of Science, as well as many other prizes Award.

UT Austin student athletes compete like the Texas Longhorns and are members of the Big 12 Conference The Longhorn Network is unique because it is the only sports network with college sports one university. The Longhorns have won four League Championship NCAA football national I, six championships Baseball NCAA national Division I and has claimed more titles in sports men and women than any other school in the Big 12 since the league was founded in 1996. current and former UT Austin athletes have won 130 Olympic medals, including 14 in Beijing in 2008 and 13 in London in 2012.

Establishment

The first mention of a public university in Texas can be traced to 1827 for the constitution of the Mexican state of Coahuila and Texas. Although Title 6, Article 217 of the Constitution that promised to establish public education in the arts and sciences, no action was taken by the Mexican government. After Texas gained independence from Mexico in 1836, the Congress of Texas adopted the Constitution of the Republic, which, under Article 5 of the general provisions declared "shall be the duty of Congress, as soon as circumstances allow to provide, by law, a general system of education. " On April 18, 1838, "An Act to establish the University of Texas" refers to a special congressional committee Texas, but no reports of new measures. On January 26, 1839, the Texas Congress agreed to allocate fifty leagues of land (approx. 288,000 acres) for the establishment of a publicly funded university. In addition, 40 acres (160,000 m2) in the new capital of Austin were reserved and designated as "College Hill." (The term "Forty Acres" is colloquially used to refer to the University as a whole. The original forty acres is the area of ​​Guadalupe Speedway and 21st Street to 24th Street)

In 1845, Texas was annexed to the United States. Interestingly, the State Constitution of 1845 failed to mention the issue of higher education. On February 11, 1858, the Texas Legislature passed Seventh O.B. 102, An Act to establish the University of Texas, which set aside $ 100,000 in bonds of the United States toward building the first university with public funds from the state (the $ 100,000 was an allocation of $ 10 million the state received in accordance with the 1850 Agreement and Texas' give up land claims outside its current boundaries). In addition, the designated land previously reserved for the promotion of railway construction to the legislature university endowments. On 31 January 1860, the state legislature, wanting to avoid raising taxes, passed a law authorizing the money for the University of Texas, to be used instead of defending the border in West Texas to protect settlers from Indian attacks. secession from the Union and the American Civil War Texas delays the repayment of borrowed money. At the end of the Civil War in 1865, the University of Texas endowment consisted of a little more than $ 16,000 in orders and yet nothing substantive has been done to organize the operations of the university. This effort to establish a university was once again mandated by Article 7, Section 10 of the Constitution of 1876, which directs the legislature to "establish, organize and provide maintenance, support and guidance of a university of the first class Texas, found by the vote of the people of this state, and style "at the University of Texas." in addition, Article 7, Section 11 of the 1876 Constitution established the Fund of the Permanent University, a sovereign fund managed by the Board of Regents of the University of Texas and dedicated to maintaining the university. Because some state legislators perceive an extravagance in building academics from other universities buildings, Article 7, Article 14 of the Constitution prohibits specifically the legislature the use of state general revenue to finance the construction of any university buildings. funds for the construction of university buildings had to come from the provision of university or private donations to college, but operating expenses of the university could come from general state revenues.


The Constitution of 1876 also repealed the provision of land Railway Act 1858, but spent 1,000,000 acres (4,000 km2) of land, along with other assets previously allocated for the university, the Permanent University Fund. This was largely at the expense of the university as the lands granted to the university by the Constitution of 1876 represented less than 5% of the value of land granted to the university under the Act of 1858 (the lands near the railways were very while valuable land granted to the university were in the far west of Texas, far from transportation sources and water). The most valuable land returned to the fund to support general education in the state (the Special School Fund). On April 10, 1883, the legislature complements the Permanent University Fund with other 1,000,000 acres of land in West Texas previously granted to the Texas Railroad and the Pacific, but returned to the state as seemingly too useless for survey yet. The legislature also appropriated $ 256,272.57 to return the funds borrowed from the university in 1860 to pay for border defense and transfers to the General Fund in 1861 and 1862. The 1883 land grant increased land the Permanent University Fund to almost 2.2 million hectares. Under the 1858 Act, the university was entitled to more than 1,000 acres of land for every mile of railroad built in the state. There was the original grant 1858 land been revoked by the Constitution of 1876, to 1883 college campuses would have amounted to 3.2 million acres, so that the grant 1883 was to restore the lands taken from the university by the Constitution 1876, not an act of generosity.

On March 30, 1881, the legislator establishes the structure and organization of the university and called an election to establish its location. By popular election on September 6, 1881, Austin (with 30.913 votes) was chosen as the site of the main university. Galveston, having come second in the election (20,741 votes) the location of the medical department was appointed (Houston was third with 12,586 votes). On November 17, 1882, in the original "College Hill", an official ceremony was held to mark the laying of the foundation stone of the old main building. University President Ashbel Smith, who chairs the ceremony prophetically proclaimed "Texas holds embedded in their terrestrial rocks and minerals that are now idle because unknown, the resources of incalculable industrial utility, wealth and power. Smite the land, to strike rocks with the rod of knowledge and sources of unstinted wealth will gush forth ". The University of Texas officially opened on September 15, 1883.

Expansion and growth

In 1890, George Washington Brackenridge donated $ 18,000 for construction of a three story brick dining room known as Brackenridge Hall (affectionately known as "B.Hall"), one of the most historic buildings college and played an important place in university life until its demolition in 1952.

The old Victorian-Gothic main building serves as the central point of the campus of 40 acres (160,000 m2) site, and was used for almost all purposes. However, by the 1930s, discussions arose about the need for a new library space, and the main building was destroyed in 1934 over the objections of many students and teachers. The tower today and the main building were built instead.

In 1910, George Washington Brackenridge again showed his philanthropy, this time donating 500 acres (2.0 km2) on the Colorado River through college. A vote by the regents to move the campus of donated land was greeted with outrage, and the land has been used only auxiliary purposes, such as housing for graduate students. Part of the tract was sold in the late 1990s to luxury homes, and there are controversial proposals to sell the rest of the tracks. Brackenridge Field Laboratory was established on 82 acres (330,000 m2) of land in 1967.

In 1916, Governor James E. Ferguson was involved in a serious fight with the University of Texas. The dispute arose from the refusal of the Board of Regents of the elimination of certain faculty members that the governor has found objectionable. When Ferguson found he could not get away with it, he vetoed almost all loans for college. Without sufficient funds, the University would have been forced to close their doors. Amid the controversy veto, critics Ferguson brought to light a number of irregularities by the governor. Over time, the Texas House of Representatives prepared 21 charges against Ferguson and Senate convicted him on 10 of those charges, including embezzlement of public funds and receiving $ 156,000 from an unidentified source. The Texas Senate Ferguson retired as governor and declared ineligible for office.

In 1921, the Legislature appropriated $ 1,350,000 for the purchase of an adjacent to the main campus ground. However, the expansion was hampered by the restriction against use of government revenue to finance the construction of university buildings as set out in Article 7, Article 14 of the Constitution. With the successful completion of Santa Rita No.1 well and the discovery of oil on land owned by the university in 1923, the university was able to significantly increase its Permanent University Fund. The additional investment income Permanent University Fund allowed to issue bonds in 1931 and 1947, with the last necessary extension of the rise in enrollment after World War II. The university built 19 permanent structures between 1950 and 1965, when he was given the right of eminent domain. With this power, the university acquired additional properties surrounding the original 40 acres (160,000 m2).

The discovery of oil on land owned by the university in 1923 and the subsequent addition of money to finance the Permanent University of the University allowed the legislature to address the financing of the university along with the College of Agriculture and Mechanics (now known as Texas A & M University). With the resources now in the Permanent University Fund to finance the construction of the two campuses, on April 8, 1931, the Second Legislature passed HB 368. Forty which dedicated the Agricultural and Mechanical College Available 1/3 interest in the Fund University, the annual income of investments of the Permanent University Fund.
UT Austin was included in the Association of American Universities in 1929. During World War II, the University of Texas was one of 131 colleges and universities nationwide have participated in the V-12 Training Program College Navy, which offers students a path to a navy commission.

In 1950, the University of Texas was the first major southern accept an African-American college student. John S. Chase, became the first black architect licensed in Texas.

In the fall of 1956, the first black grade class was allowed to college.

On March 6, 1967, the Texas Legislature changed the official name Sixty University "The University of Texas" to "The University of Texas at Austin" to reflect the growth of the University of Texas System.

1966 shooting spree

On August 1, 1966, Texas student Charles Whitman from the observation deck on the tower barricaded the main building. With two rifles, a shotgun jagged canyons, and several other weapons, killed a total of 14 people on campus, 11 from the observation deck and below the tower clocks, and three more in the tower, and wounding two more within the observation deck. The slaughter ended after Whitman was shot dead by police after a break of the tower. Before the killing, Whitman had killed his mother and his wife. Whitman had been a patient at the Health Center of the University, and on March 29, preceding the shooting, had transmitted to the psychiatrist Maurice Heatley feelings of overwhelming hostility and I was thinking of "going up the tower with a rifle deer and start shooting people. "

After the Whitman event, the observation deck was closed until 1968, then closed again in 1975 after a series of suicide jumps during the 1970s In 1999, after the installation of security fences and other safety precautions , the observation deck of the tower reopened to the public. There is a turtle pond park near the tower dedicated to all those affected by the tragedy.

Recent history

The first presidential library on a university campus is dedicated on May 22, 1971 with former President Johnson, Lady Bird Johnson and then President Richard Nixon in attendance. Built on the east side of the main campus, the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum is one of 13 presidential libraries administered by the National Archives and Administration.

A statue of Martin Luther King, Jr. was unveiled on campus in 1999 and subsequently vandalized. In 2004, John Butler, a professor at the McCombs School of Business suggested moving it to Morehouse College, a historically black college, "a place that is loved." Meanwhile, Patrick Slattery, a professor at Texas A & M University, suggested that historical statues of Confederate veterans on campus (including Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis) should be withdrawn from school and moved to a museum .

The University of Texas at Austin has experienced a wave of new construction recently with several significant buildings. On April 30, 2006, the school opened the Blanton Museum of Art. In August 2008, the Center AT & T Executive Education and Conference opened with the conference center as part of a new gateway to the university . Also in 2008, Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium was expanded to a capacity of 100,119, which is the largest (by capacity) in the state of Texas at the time stadium.

On 19 January 2011, the university announced the creation of a TV network 24 hours in association with ESPN, known as Longhorn Network. ESPN pay a fee of $ 300 million rights guaranteed for 20 years the University and College IMG, multimedia rights partner of Texas at Austin. The network covers athletic programs, music, cultural arts and academics from the University intercollegiate. The channel first broadcast in September 2011.